From 1999 but still relevant in 2019
• To ensure a continued rail service at Melksham
• To increase the train service provided at Melksham
• To encourage train operators to provide connections with other train services such that a wider choice of journey opportunities by rail is available from Melksham
• To improve and enhance the facilities at Melksham station
• To seek improvements to the route between the town and its station
• To support initiatives aimed at increasing the use of the railway for freight and passengers generally, in order to reduce road traffic in west Wiltshire
• To increase local awareness of the advantages of rail travel and greater use of public transport
• To promote integrated public transport in the Melksham area
An update from 2016
• To represent the interests of passengers and other users of Melksham station on railway and government bodies, and to act as the prime conduit for feedback to those organisations, both through direct contact and through the TransWilts CIC
• By membership of the TransWilts CIC, to support the permanent provision of, and expansion to, the rail service at Melksham
• To lead Station Adoption activities at Melksham to facilitate, and where appropriate implement, enhanced amenities, including application for funding where applicable, for such improvements.
• To encourage use of Melksham station by individuals and business users, including promotional events
• To analyse actual and potential Melksham station users travel plans, and hence recommend potential improved connections
• To increase awareness of, and provision of integrated public transport more generally in Melksham and the surrounding area
• To educate users in all safety related issues and regulations
Saturday April 13th - Join the Great British Spring Clean at Melksham Station. Details at event page
Wednesday 22nd May - next meeting of Melksham Rail User Group. 19:30, Town Hall, all welcome - see [here]. This will be our AGM but other issues will be covered as normal. Please come along and make your inputs heard
Tribute to class 153 trains - the single carriages which provided the vital stepping stone from no useful service to what we now have, 2013-2018 on the line, now retiring from GWR
New "Great West Way Discover" tickets launched - travel as much as you like on selected routes, two of the tickets include Melksham - great for a Staycation or for visitors to the UK who are staying with you for a while. There are now 10 different rangers and rovers that include Melksham - see [here] for a list including maps and prices.
Did you know John Money - our stalwart supporter and treasurer for many years? Care to join us on 28th April on a trip to his beloved Seaton Tramway where a memorial plaque for the work he did for them and us will be dedicated on his favourite car (No. 8), and we'll be scattering his ashes before heading home.
* It's so much faster skipping stations.
* Community Rail in Wales - status and plans
* [historic] - fatality at Melksham - call for footbridge
* bus question
* Controlled news release from Department for Transport - knew but did not tell
* Overrunning engineering - Easter Sunday 21st April 2019
* East Somerset Junction